Open Source Book Project
Can an open community of Christian and Messianic Jewish writers and bloggers coalesce, collaborate and create a free and open source book about Jesus? I think so.
I personally love open source in all its forms, from computer operating systems, namely Linux to software like Libre Office, to free education found at websites such as Khan Academy and Open Culture, Wikipedia, Internet Archive, crowdfunding, and beautiful typesetting achieved with LaTeX.
- What is Open Source?
This LEGO video does a fantastic job explaining Open Source and how it can be applied in different ways:
- Is an Open Source Philosophy to a Book-Creating Project, Biblical?
31 “And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.” —Acts 4:31-33
- Is a Project like this Needed, Timely and Relevant?
If we haven’t lived like monks and hermits, there are probably several things that stand out at this time:
- Based on biblical prophesy, we may indeed be living in the season of the end times.
- More and more biblical-oriented Christians are leaving the corporate church, which has been controlled by the doctrines of man, more than by the Word of God. If this were not so, there would not be tens of thousands of Christian denominations.
- The biblical choice between good and evil is becoming clear and distinct. The socially constructed relativism of life’s so called “grey areas” are falling away. In addition, evil is becoming increasingly evil and good is becoming more righteous.
- Many of the youth of our time are completely ensnared by satan’s minions through culture and indoctrination. These are truly lost children, but it is entirely our fault for allowing the anti-christ village of educators, policy-makers, capitalists and technological profiteers to raise our youth. In addition and perhaps even the first cause, is that the leaders of our nation, our institutions, and even our churches since the turn of the century have become increasingly entitled, self serving, self-enriching, and corrupt. The consequence has been devastating to God’s divine plan for man to live rightly and good. Instead, society has degraded to utter chaos, disorder, violence and a deep, guttural and enraged disrespect for just about everything and everyone.
- Where there exists evil, there is a seed of good. The challenge is how to meet this generation where they are in principle, to share the good news of Jesus Christ in a world that is becoming increasingly not safe, not good, and trigger-filled. There is indeed a safe space for them now and for eternity, and it’s in Christ, our Saviour.
- Our sensitive youth, even in their hate, rage, anger, and illogical methods, I believe can be touched by Christian principles in decentralization (God-given rights and freedoms), community collaboration (care of the orphan, widow, and alien) ; free and open source philosophy (charity,) rebuking that which is hateful in thought, speech and action, worshiping NOT creation such as that which derives from ourselves, or nature and environment, diet and health, or even success and knowledge, but to worship only the Creator, who is our Father, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; revealing the preciousness and truth of life…who we are in substance, individually, as God intended each of us to be and not who we think we are or what we think we should become; only in Christ can we fulfill our destiny.
So yes, I think there is a unique opportunity for interested Christians and Messianic Jews (members of the Body of Christ) to coalesce, collaborate and create a Body of Work, for the yet unsaved in these trying times.
The seed is planted. Now we wait for the Lord and the Holy Spirit to bless and nourish….